HBA BOARD & ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Established in 1984 and incorporated since 1989, the Association built the Hills Basketball Stadium in 1995 and quickly grew to become one of the largest and most professional basketball associations within New South Wales. Hills Basketball Association is affiliated with NSW Basketball and Basketball Australia.
The Hills Basketball Stadium is the home of the Hills Basketball Association, the consistently successful Hills Hornets Representative Program, our award winning Referee & Officials Programs and the outstanding Hornets Academy Program.
Hills Basketball Association conducts its Annual General Meeting (AGM) in June each year. Voting Members are eligible to attend the AGM and are responsible for the election of Hills Basketball Association Committee of Management (HBACOM) positions. To ensure continuity, HBA COM positions are held for two years, however different roles are up for election each year. Year 1 President, Secretary and two Committee Members | Year 2 Vice-President, Treasurer and one Committee Member.
- Not-for-profit sporting organisation established in 1984.
- Incorporated in 1989. Currently transitioning to a company limited by guarantee. This move will not change the organisation’s not-for-profit status.
- Built the Hills Basketball Stadium in 1995. Extended facility to a 6-court venue in 2017.
- Obtained a 5-year lease of the Dural Recreation Centre in 2018. Known as Hills Hornets Dural.
- Over 625 teams compete in local basketball competitions at the Hills Basketball Stadium.
- Over 300 local competition games are conducted each week.
- Over 5,000 players participate in local competition games, run seven days per week.
- There are currently in excess of 230 qualified Referees officiating these games.
- More than 1,200 children are involved in the Hornets Academy (skills sessions) each week, making it one of the largest development programs in Australia.
- Over 8,000 spectators attend Hills Basketball Association directed venues each week.
- Hills Basketball Association currently has 23 junior and 6 senior representative teams.
- Hills Basketball Association and Blues Wheelchair Basketball Club jointly manage the Blue Hornets, two national league wheelchair teams.
The 2019 HILLS BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM) will be held on Thursday, 27 June 2019, 7.30pm at the Hills Basketball Stadium (Education Room). Please find below the agenda for the 2019 AGM, a Proxy Voting Form and an Executive Committee Nomination Form. The 2018 Annual Report and Financial Report will be emailed to voting members prior to the 2019 meeting.
Click herefor 2019 AGM Agenda
As per item 6 (i) on the Agenda the Hills Basketball Committee of Management recommends the following people for Life Membership of the Hills Basketball Association Incorporated. Details on nominees below.
Click here for Special Resolution – Life Members (Refer Annexure A)
As per item 6 (ii) on the Agenda, Special Resolution of Hills Basketball Assoc. Inc. – 27 June 2019 In accordance with Clause 36, the Hills Basketball Committee of Management recommends the draft constitution dated 6 June 2019 be adopted.
Click here for Special Resolution – Constitution (Refer Annexure B)
Click here for 2019 Committee of Nomination Form. Closes Thursday 20 June 2019 at 5pm.
Click here for 2019 Proxy Form. Closes Wednesday 26 June 2019 at 7.30pm.
Voting Members are required to renew their membership each year, with an annual fee of $25 per year. Benefits of membership include:
- voting rights at Annual General Meeting
- voting rights at Special General Meetings
- the right to nominate for the Executive Committee
- free entry to all senior and junior Hills Hornets representative home games
- discounts and special offers on major events
New applications to become a Voting Member need to be approved by the Committee of Management. This process may take up to 7 days.
Hills Basketball Association Life Members have been integral in the growth and development of our Association. So many volunteers and staff play a vital role in forming this community but the following members have shown a commitment to our organisation worthy of Life Membership.
Tony Wagstaff (1996), Janet Blanch (1998), Richard Slowgrove (2007), Evan Bennett (2008), Richard Howard (2015), Steven Nicholls (2015), Jann Partyka (2015), Mitzi Crawford (2016), Trish Nicholls (2016), Kathleen Parker (2016), Michelle Mahony (2017), Pat Mahony (2017), Jim Roditis (2017), Russell Graham (2018), Paul Nelson (2018), Emils Duselis (2018), Lauretta Claus (2019), Janice Roditis (2019), Angus Wildblood (2019)
The Hills Basketball Association Constitution states:
- The Committee of Management may recommend to the annual general meeting that any natural person who has rendered distinguished service to the Association be appointed as a Life Member.
- For the purposes of ‘rendered distinguished service’ shall be restricted to those who have contributed to the control, promotion, integration, or fostering of participation and development of basketball by their participation in the Association for a period of ten (10) years and who have set an exemplary standard of behaviour on and off the court and are nominated by a member to the Committee of Management for election at an annual general meeting of the Association
- Names of nominees for Life Membership shall be submitted to the Secretary at least thirty five (35) days prior to the annual general meeting at which such nominees are proposed for election for life members
- A resolution of the annual general meeting to confer Life Membership [subject to clause 2A. (4)] on the recommendation of the Committee of Management must be a Special Resolution and must be passed by at least three fourths of those members attending and eligible to vote
- Not more than three (3) Life Members shall be elected at any one annual general meeting.
- A person must accept or reject the Association’s resolution to confer Life Membership in writing. Upon written acceptance, the person’s details shall be entered upon the Register, and from the time of entry on the Register the person shall be a Life Member.